Thursday, November 15, 2007

Getting a Job. Some Helpful Tips on Maximizing Your Potential

So I actually have to get a real job. My season has slowed almost to a stop with my business and I don't have sufficient savings to propel me through to next season. I've been looking for jobs but it seems none of them pay much more than minimum wage and I'm looking to make at least $160 a day. However, there are a few jobs that are exceptions; Waiters, hosts, and sales.

Waiters and hosts make a significant cut of any tips that are left by satisfied patrons. This is especially great for anyone in North America because the normal tipping percentage here is much higher than in some European countries. I have a few friends that make up to $300 a day and no less than $150. Sales associates often work on a commission basis so if you are motivated and good with people this field also has similar potential with the max earnings depending on the product that you're selling. So after you decide which job would suit you (assuming you are ok with these 3 options) it's time to write up a resume.

I'm in an interesting position because I recently put out a job posting for my business and received 20 resumes, all varying in quality and I think I can at the very least tell you what not to do.

Do not:
have grammatical errors

think it's alright to forgo applying with a resume

I couldn't believe that people actually applied for the position with only a sentence or a couple that were full of spelling mistakes.

-I know the basics of gardening.. im looking for employment, i am interested

-Hi, my name is Andrew, I have lawn&garden maintenance Exp. do not have a job right now and would be intrested in
nowing more about the job,and now who im apllying with
thank look forwerd to hereing from you 3## ##2#
call eny time LM

Needless to say they weren't hired. Your resume is the only chance you have to get a call back so make it perfect. Spelling errors are not acceptable especially when spell check will take care of it for you. To me it just insinuates laziness. Now for some do's.

Do:
include a cover letter
add a photo of yourself

I received one application that included a cover letter. Even with only 10 or so qualified applicants it was difficult to remember which was which. If you include a cover letter or a photo you will subconsciously become more memorable to the interviewer. Anything you can think of to stand out should be done.

So let's say you actually get an interview, dress accordingly. You should always look well groomed and professional but if you are applying for a labor position there is no need for an expensive suit. A clean, matching outfit will suffice for most interviews of that kind.

Keep in mind through the whole process that you are trying to create an indelible impression on the company you are applying to so make it as memorable as possible.