Thursday, November 1, 2007

Setting Short Term Financial Goals

I have been overwhelmed by my debt lately. Extreme debt and limited income really does feel like you're in a hole that you can't seem to pull yourself out of. I think I've been focusing too much on the big picture and I need to set some short term goals for myself.

I was on a forum today that I regularly visit and they had a post where you would write how much money you were going to spend that day. For some people it was a couple bucks here and there for a coffee or lunch, and for some it was nothing at all. I thought to myself "this is the kind of thing I need to start doing". I need to start setting daily goals. Mentally preparing myself every day to spend as little as possible. Today I had $5 in my pocket and I had some cheques to deposit, and some credit cards to pay off at the bank. So instead of driving my big truck I decided to walk to town and get a chai latte and a cheap piece of pizza. Those two items came to $4.75 on the dot and $.25 went into my change jar. It felt really good knowing that I only spent $5 for the entire day.

Try relieving your daily financial stress a little bit by setting short term goals. It works!